Wintertime Is Family Time
As temperatures turn chilly, family time becomes even more important as we celebrate a variety of winter holidays and enjoy the changing season. Check out these ideas to play, learn and explore with your children!
- Show Iowa PBS how you celebrate the winter season by designing a special ornament and sending it to us! We’d love to showcase your child’s work on our Iowa PBS KIDS Holiday tree.
- Grover is attending the winter games in this fun, online game! Play with numbers, patterns and colors in Grover’s Winter Games.
- Play this fun snowboarding game with Molly from Molly of Denali and her Auntie Midge. Let’s see your moves!
- Bring the snow inside! Learn how you can make snow paint with just two simple ingredients.
- Find things hidden in the snow with Snow Search!
- Looking for something new to read? Check out this list of children’s books that celebrate winter. Or, read about some special winter holidays like Christmas, Kwanzaa, or Hanukkah
- Gather your family each weekend for PBS KIDS Family Night! What kind of snack will you make? Which blanket or stuffed animal will you select? Watch your favorite PBS KIDS characters every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 6 to 8 pm on Iowa PBS KIDS .2.
- Learn about different kinds of evergreen trees and how we can safely use them to decorate our homes during the holidays in this Wander and Wonder episode!
- In this Wander and Wonder episode, Abby Brown and her friend Brayden explore the states of ice and create amazing structures! See what you can create.
- Host a Snowflake Party! Make these three snowflakes crafts with supplies from home.
- On days it’s too cold to play outside, here are a few ideas for indoor games to get the wiggles out.
- Many holiday traditions are centered around food. For Alma from Alma’s Way, that special holiday treat is her mommy’s polvorones! Here are some delicious food traditions enjoyed by families around the world during the holidays.
- Ermines and snow hares and penguins, oh my! Jump into some snowy adventures with the Wild Kratts this holiday season!
- Stretch out the celebration to the New Year by doing something simple each day! Have your child pick one new thing to do each day throughout the month.