Listen to the sounds around you and play a sorting game.
- Index cards
- Crayons or markers
- Walk around your neighborhood and keep your ears open listening for loud and soft sounds such as sirens and leaves blowing in the wind. With your child, think of animals that can make loud sounds, soft sounds, or both. What sound does it make and how does it move?
- When you get home, make a list together of the different sounds that you heard.
- On the index cards, help your child draw a picture of each thing that she heard.
- Spread out the index cards face-up on the floor and together, sort them into two piles: one for things that make soft noises and one for things that make loud noises.
- Mix them up and play again!
This activity comes to you from the creators of Sesame Street.
Iowa PBS STEAM Activities and Crafts provided by PBS KIDS Parents.