For an afternoon of clean, green and science-friendly fun, try making these ice boats with your kids.
- Plastic containers
- Pipe cleaners
- Sticks and twigs
- Small leaves
- Tape a twig or stick straight up in the center of each container by wrapping a pipe cleaner around each stick, then tape the ends of the pipe cleaners to the outsides of the plastic container.
- Fill the containers with water. Note: The water expands a little as it freezes, so make sure to put the pipe cleaners high enough so that they won't touch the ice.
- Place the boats in the freezer and wait for them to turn into solids.
- When your child is ready to set sail (in a lake, pool, sink, bathtub or other body of water), poke a leaf on top of the stick in each container to act as a sail.
- Pop the ice out of the containers and launch your boats.
Lorie is a reading specialist turned SAHM to a toddler and a preschooler.
Iowa PBS STEAM Activities and Crafts provided by PBS KIDS Parents.