Explore counting and animal knowledge with your child by creating ladybug art.
- Construction paper
- Pencil or pen
- Crayons or markers
- Small notebook
- Scissors (adult only)
- Draw a ladybug with your child on one sheet of paper and draw 10 spots on a separate sheet of paper.
- Use scissors to cut out the spots for your child.
- Ask your child to place a specific number of spots on the ladybug and to count aloud as they place them. For example, say, “Let’s make a ladybug with 4 spots!”
- Then encourage your child to add spots. You might say, “Now, let’s make a ladybug with 6 spots — how many spots should we add on so that there are six spots all together?”
- Finally, encourage your child to subtract spots. You can say, “Now, let’s make a ladybug with 3 spots! How many spots should we take away so that there are 3 spots left?”
This craft comes to you from the creators of Sesame Street.
Iowa PBS STEAM Activities and Crafts provided by PBS KIDS Parents.