Greetings From Iowa | Episode
Dec 22, 2021 | 11 min
With host Charity Nebbe, Tom Slepicka of Cedar Rapids teaches us about Vánočka – a sweet braided bread served at Christmas in the Czech Republic.
- Vánočka is a sweet braided bread traditionally served on Christmas Eve in the Czech Republic.
- Vanilla extract, lemon zest and raisins soaked in rum give Vánočka its distinctive flavor, and set it apart from other European sweet breads.
- Vánočka has a rich history dating back to the 14th century.
- Tom has wonderful memories of the smell of this bread baking in his grandmother's house. Now he enjoys making it with his children.
- See Tom's full recipe to serve up your own sweet braided bread.