Wander & Wonder | Digital Short
Oct 20, 2020 | 8 min
Explore the beautiful colors of fall leaves with chromatography.
- Various colored leaves, a handful of each color
- Clear glass jars - 1 for each leaf color
- Rubbing alcohol
- Coffee filters
- Pencils - 1 for each leaf color
- Sort leaves by color.
- Crush up enough leaves of each color to cover the bottom of the jar.
- Cover the crushed leaves in rubbing alcohol.
- Place jars in cake pan and fill pan with hot water.
- Wait at least 45 minutes, or until color has left leaves and gone into liquid.
- Cut two inch strips of a coffee filter, measure so one end of the strip touches liquid. Roll up the other end on a pencil and let rest on top of the jar.
- Wait over night!
- Reveal colors absorbed into coffee filter strip.