About Iowa Pathways
Iowa PBS’s Iowa Pathways is an online learning environment that challenges students to create their own story of Iowa history as they explore the people, places, events and ideas of their state. This award-winning website helps students choose topics that interest them, build research questions and examine relationships among Iowa concepts—past to present.
Iowa Pathways features several ways to explore Iowa history:
- Hundreds of interconnected articles introduce students to the big ideas and specific topics of Iowa’s past and present. Each article is supported with images, websites and connections to related topics. Students are challenged to think about what they are reading and why it’s relevant. Students determine their own paths as they make associations between topics.
- Search a growing collection of images, videos, maps and other media.
- Explore Iowa history milestones and their connections to U.S. and world events. A variety of items in the timeline offer students opportunities to compare and contrast events across different themes and to place events in a broad context.
- Students are challenged by inquiry-based tasks as they make and interpret connections among the people, places, events and ideas of Iowa.
- Students and teachers can explore related links, activities and classroom resources.
To learn more about using Iowa Pathways in your classroom view the Teacher Resources.
The following organizations provided materials and expertise supporting the project.
- State Historical Society of Iowa
- Graceland University
- Price Lab School, University of Northern Iowa
- Iowa Department of Transportation
- Iowa Association of Naturalists
- Iowa Center for Immigrant Leadership and Integration, University of Northern Iowa
- Iowa Department of Natural Resource, Geological Survey
- The Office of the State Archaeologist, The University of Iowa
- The Iowa Gold Star Military Museum
Copyright and Use
All material on the Iowa Pathways website is copyrighted by Iowa PBS unless otherwise indicated. The site is intended for personal or educational use only. Any other use, including but not limited to commercial reproductions, redistribution, publication, or transmission, whether by electronic means or otherwise, without prior written permission of Iowa PBS is strictly prohibited.
Iowa PBS's Iowa Pathways Project received financial support from the following sponsors:
The Vredenburg Foundation of Chariton