The timeline below depicts influential events in the world, the United States, or in the territory or state of Iowa. The timeline holds events that pertain to all major themes presented within the Iowa Pathways website.
Navigating the Timeline
Each notable event recorded on the timeline has its own slide. Use the large arrow on the right to move to the next event in time. Use the large arrow on the left to move back to the previous event in time. Select an event in the timeline to move to that event.
Below the slide deck, on the left side are two magnifying glasses. Use the plus sign magnifying glass to zoom in on the timeline. Use the minus sign magnifying glass to zoom out on the timeline. As you zoom in and out, you will see the timeline under the slide deck expand and retract based on magnification. The back arrow below the magnifying glasses will restart the timeline.
What’s on each slide:
- Each slide is color-coded. Dark red are world events; yellow are United States events; and dark blue are Iowa events.
- Where appropriate, media that supports or explains the event has been added to enrich your experience. Select the media within the slide to view the information.
- Where appropriate, you can find additional Iowa Pathways information about the event by selecting the link provided within the slide. This link will take you away from the timeline and to an Iowa Pathways supporting article about the event. To get back to the timeline, use your browser's back arrow key.
Questions to Consider:
- When viewing information in the timeline, consider the following questions:
- What time in history did this event occur? What else was happening at that time?
- What events led to this event? What events followed it? Does this event begin or end something? Is this event part of a sequence of other events?
- How did this event influence the present? How might it influence our future?
Several entries for this timeline were adapted from Prairie Voices Iowa Heritage Curriculum, Annotated Iowa History Timeline, State Historical Society of Iowa, 1995. Used with permission.
- Agriculture in the Classroom: Growing a Nation: The Story of American Agriculture, United States Department of Agriculture, 2004.
- Discovering Historic Iowa Transportation Milestones, Iowa Department of Transportation, 2000.
- Downey, Mathew T. American History 1 and 2. Chicago: McGraw-Hill, 2006.
- History and Life: The World and Its People. Glenview, Illinois: Scott, Foresman and Company, 1980.
- Keenan, Sheila. Scholastic Encyclopedia of Women in the United States. New York: Scholastic Reference, 1996.
- National Standards for History, UCLA National Center for History in the Schools, 1996.
- Randy Lyon, This Month In Iowa History, State Historical Society of Iowa.
- The Challenge of Freedom. River Forest, Illinois: Laidlaw Brothers, 1982.
- William Kovarik, Ph.D., Environmental History Timeline, Radford University (1996).
- World Adventures in Time and Place. New York: Macmillan McGraw-Hill, 1997.